Eating out in Niseko is another cultural experience in itself. There is a large selection of restaurants: Izakayas, Yakitori & sushi restaurants, ramen shops and curry places, plus a good selection of western style foods. Prices are about average by Japanese standards but surprisingly cheap by Western standards. There are over 40 restaurants in the village and most are open 365 days of the year.
Every winter the Niseko Promotion Board publishes a free wine and dine guide for the Niseko Resort Area. Information in English is provided for the restaurants and bars in Niseko. A searchable online guide covering a reasonable subset of Niseko’s restaurants and bars can be found at the Powderlife website.
For middle of the range dining, lunches cost around 1,000 yen, evening meals cost around 2,000-3,000yen per person. You can dine a lot cheaper or spend a lot more depending on the restaurant. The free Niseko food and wine guide provides more detail regarding each restaurants typical dishes and prices.
During the peak periods of Christmas/New Year and Chinese New Year it is recommended to make reservations. Most restaurants have English speaking staff. Outside of these times you generally only need to make a reservation if you have a large group or want to dine at a popular restaurant.
Most bars and restaurants in the Niseko Ski resort don’t accept credit cards or travelers cheques. Restaurants that do accept credit cards may charge an extra service fee. There is an ATM that accepts VISA. The main post office in Kutchan accepts most international cards. Note that tipping is not customary in Japan and you should not leave a tip at your restaurant table as the wait staff will probably think you forgot your change and will chase after you to return it.
Favourite restaurants and bars that we or our friends and guests have visited include:
- A Bu Cha in the Upper Village serves popular modern Japanese dishes and hotpots filled with local Hokkaido ingredients. Telephone 0136 22 5620
- Bhozan in the middle village serves traditional Nepalese food. Telephone 0136 21 2121
- The Tajmahal serves delicious Indian food, as well as a range of Chinese cuisine. Telephone 0136-22-4566
- The Vale Bar & Grill located at the base of the Ace Family Pair lift offers modern international cuisine. The American style buffet is a great way to start a day’s skiing. Telephone 0136-21-5833
- Steak Rosso Rosso is a casual steak house with a contemporary flavor. Telephone 0136-21-7100
- Mina Mina Sake Bar & Restaurant serves a variety of contemporary Japanese food. They also have a range of carefully selected Japanese sake, Shochu and plum (ume boshi) wines. Telephone.: 090-7652-0220
- Wild Bills is a popular bar as well as a fantastic Tex-Mex cuisine restaurant. Telephone:0136-22-5652